Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 Cordless Combi Drill UK Review
The Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 cordless combi drill is by quite a long way, the best seller on Amazon UK. With an average price of just under £80, it really is hard to find a better all round drill, anywhere in the market.
This is an 18 volt powered drill, with a 2-speed gearbox, 20 torque settings, a keyless chuck and a soft grip handle.
Buyers overall rate this PSB 1800 cordless drill at a very high 94% buyer satisfaction level. That is an amazing rating for any tool. It truly shows how good this product actually is.
Summary Review of the Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 Combi Drill
If you want a really good all round purpose drill for your home, then we believe, that this 1800 model is the one. You can buy this drill with either one battery, or with two batteries. The single battery option is about £73-75, and the one with 2 batteries is around £80-99, depending on where you buy it.
It makes sense therefore to purchase the 2 battery option, as the price difference is so small. Having a spare battery is a really good idea, as you can be using one, when the other one is charging.
This cordless drill is very useful for many jobs and tasks around the home. That includes any tasks that include screw driving, drilling or impact drilling. This is a light weight drill, and that makes it easy to use, and reduces user fatigue.
The drill comes with a 1 hour charger, a screwdriver bit and a carry case.
How Buyers Rate the Bosch PSB 1800 Li-2
At the time of writing this article, this model has received a few thousand online buyer reviews. The fact that it has maintained such a high rating, tells you everything you need to know.
This is a top of the range product, and few cordless drills on the UK market are better than this one.
On average those buyers have rated this drill at 94% buyer satisfaction.
It is pretty easy to see the story here. Just over 8 out of 10 buyers rate this as a 5 star product. That should tell you just how much buyers really like this product.
This is the cordless drill that I won myself. With that knowledge I would have no hesitation in recommending it to you.
Bosch PSB 1800 Drill Specification
In this section we have included what I think are the important features to know.
Many drills are packed with features, but some of those are just far more important than others.
You do, however need to understand the specification, and what advantages having certain features really means. That is what we have tried to cover down below.
First though, let's have a look at the full specification of the Bosch PSB1800.
- Uses an 18 Volt Lithium-Ion battery which holds its charge really well, and is very fast to charge. It also comes with a charger, and it takes an hour to charge the battery to a full charge.
- Has a hammer action so can be used for drilling into all types of masonry
- This drill can also be used for drilling into wood, plastic and metal
- This can also be used as an electric screwdriver, and that makes it a really hand dual purpose drill/driver
- 20 torque settings, which allow you to set the strength which is used to put screws into material. For example you would use a low torque for smaller screws into softer wood, and a high torque for longer screws into harder wood.
- It has a very useful and bright LED work light, which throws light directly on to the area that you are working on. That is really useful in confined spaces, or badly lit work areas, like under a sink for example
- Like many cordless drills this one also has a cordless chuck, and that makes change drill bits and screwdriver bits a simple and fast task, as no chuck key is required. It has a 10 mm chuck size, which means it can accommodate bits with a 10 mm diameter.
- This drill comes with 2 batteries, a charger, a double end screwdriver bit all contained in a tough plastic case
- It is a 2-speed gearbox, and that allows you to either have a slow or fast speed option for drilling and driving
- It measures 38.6 x 34.2 x 10.2 cm and weighs just under 1.3 Kg with the battery in place.
Screw Diameter up to
Drilling Diameter into wood
Drilling Diameter into steel
Drilling Diameter into masonry
What Buyers Say About the Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2
Overall buyers clearly rate this drill very highly. They said it had a nice compact design, was very powerful and yet Bosch had managed to keep the drill nice and light.
It has the capability of driving in around 300 1" screws from a single charge of the battery. Add to that the fact that this can drill and work well as a screwdriver, it was a really useful tool to own.
It does of course have the added advantage of being able to drill through masonry, which simply extends its usefulness.
The number of complaints about this drill is around 1%, and that is always a good sign. We do however like to show what these were, and why they have been made.
We have therefore summarised those in the table just below.
- A lightweight yet very powerful drill/driver that is easy to use
- It can handle around 95% of all drilling and driving jobs
- Buyers appreciated the idea of owning two batteries and a fast charger
- The batteries are also compatible with other Bosch 18 Volt tools
- Works really well as a hammer drill
- Really well though out design, with a nice comfortable grip and easy to make adjustments
- Not suitable for heavy masonry jobs
- About 0.4% of buyers had an issue when the drill stopped working after 3-4 months
- A small number said it was not powerful enough
How Heavy Is This Drill With the Battery Attached?
It weighs 1.3 Kg, which is one of the lightest drills on the market.
What Does the Hammer Action Really Mean?
Drills have what is called a rotary action, which is simply the spinning and turning action, which is measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) If they have a hammer action, which this one does, that is measured in bumps per minute.
In essence the drill bumps in and out at a really fast rate. This one has a 20.250 rate, which is very good.
What Are The Drilling Speeds and Highest Torque Level?
This drill has a low gear and a high gear. On the lowest gear the RPM is 0-400, and then 0-1,350 RPM on the higher gear. The maximum torque level is measured in Newton Metres and this PSB 188 is 30 Nm. That is powerful enough for most types of drilling and driving.
Does this drill have variable speed?
Yes it does, as most drills do, and that feature is controlled by the pressure you apply on the trigger.
Our Verdict on the Bosch PSB 1800 Cordless Drill
This is really good cordless hammer drill, that is suitable for almost every drilling and driving job around the home.
The only reason not to buy this drill, is if you plan on doing any heavy duty masonry drilling. It is not designed to do that and the drill would struggle to be able to drill large holes, or wide holes in masonry such as brick, block or mortar.
In terms of features, battery life and usefulness, this drill will be really hard to beat, in terms of value for money. I own this one myself and I find it extremely useful.
The only time I don't use this one is if I am doing something like drilling through walls to push cables through, or plastic pipes for plumbing. For that I use a heavy duty hammer drill which is a corded drill, as you need serious power to do that quickly.
This Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 is a great all round cordless drill, and I think one of the best currently available on the UK market.