In this article we review, what we think to be the best compactor wacker plates, that are currently available in the UK market. You can buy these in an electric powered version or as a petrol version.
The electric version will be a whole lot quieter, but you will need an electric power source to be able to use it.
The petrol version is noisier, but it is more portable as it can be used anywhere, without having to rely on a power source.
Why Buy a Wacker Plate?
These are used to simply level ground. There is a hard way and an easy way of doing that. Let's assume you are laying some paving stones on a patio, or in a yard.
You need to make sure the surface is level and won't sink or subside. To do that you will use some type of hard core, gravel and then sand so as you can have a level surface for your paving stones.
That hardcore needs to be packed down and levelled. For that you have two choices:
- You can use a tamper also known as a rammer and manually pound the hard core into the ground (hard work believe us)
- You can hire or buy a compactor and let it do the hard work
In a Hurry?
We provide a lot of information on this page, so if you want a quick answer, then the best compactor wacker plate is the Evolution Power Tools Hulk Electric Compactor
It's a great choice for crusher run, sand, soil and block paving preparation
"With over 600 online buyer reviews and an 86% buyer satisfaction rating, this is the most popular choice by UK buyers, based on our extensive research.
Top 5 Rated Compactor Wacker Plates
Just below you will find an easy to read table, that is easy to understand. There we have placed the compactors in a specific order.
The order we have used is the highest buyer rated first. In other words we have placed the compactors in order of what buyers judged their quality to be.
Evolution Power Tools Hulk Electric Compactor
86% buyer satisfaction based on 600+ online buyer reviews
- This is a good choice for a crusher run, sand, soil and block paving preparation
- It is an electric compactor
- It is easy to manoeuvre in restricted spaces
- It is reliable, portable, quiet and low maintenance with a vibration damper system for increased user comfort
- It has a base plate that delivers high force for powerful performance with 5 m/minute travel speed
- By adding the optional paving pad it can also be used on block paving
This is the best seller online, and although expensive, it is a great deal cheaper than a professional alternative, which would cost 3-4 times more.
Evolution Power Tools Hulk Petrol Compactor
65% buyer satisfaction based on 100+ online buyer reviews
- This is a good choice for for patio/block paving, driveways and tarmac repairs
- This model is powered by a 2.4 HP 4-stroke engine
- It has an 8 metres per minute travel speed
- It has a heavy duty vibration damper system that helps with user comfort
- This is suitable for home use but is not recommended for the trade
- Comes with a 2-year manufacturer warranty
This compactor does a good enough job but does require a fair bit of pushing to get it going.
Silverline 456901 Forged Tamper - The Manual and much Cheaper Alternative
92% buyer satisfaction based on 300+ online buyer reviews
- This is a good choice for compacting earth and hardcore
- It has a solid steel plate head and a tubular steel handle
- It has a 130mm square base for access into corners
- The handle is 150 cm long
- It is hard work using one of these but it will get the job done eventually
Wacker Plate Compactor Buying Guide (UK)
People buy these for a whole variety of reasons. The basic premise behind these is that they are used for surface preparation where evenly compacted ground is required.
That makes them suitable for sub-base preparation, sand, gravel, crusher run, soil, small aggregates, patios, block paving, driveways, pathways and tarmac repairs.
You can of course hire out a lightweight or plate compactor. Normally these are charged using daily rates and these vary depending on the type of mixer. On average this works out at around £40 a day depending on where you live.
If you are doing a small job, that you can finish in a couple of days, then that is probably the best thing to do. However, if the job is going to take longer than that, it might be worthwhile buying one of your own.
The most popular types to buy are the small electric portable ones. Typically these cost around £125-200, depending on the size of them. It is worth considering a purchase if you plan to do lots of work, that involves this type of work
The two most important considerations when buying a compactor are:
- Petrol or electric
- Lightweight or plate
Compactors can either be electric, like the ones that we have shown above. You can also get them with a petrol motor. For general home use an electric one will be slightly cheaper and quieter, but you do need a guaranteed electric power supply.
Video - Using a Plate Compactor
We found this useful video, which is especially helpful if you new to these, and not exactly sure how to properly use a plate compactor. If that is the case, then this one is well worth a watch.
Hopefully you have found this plate compactor guide useful. They are a real time saver, when you have to do medium to large projects. With a little maintenance, especially regular cleaning, they can last you for many years. We always like to go for best model but any of the compactors reviewed here should work for you.