Any cordless jigsaw is a type of power saw which uses a short reciprocating blade to cut shapes or curves in materials such as wood, metal and plastics. They have a mountain of uses and can actual do some neat, intricate work with a little bit of practice
The beauty of owning a saw like this, is that it can also be used for normal straight cuts, curved cuts or simple designs. You can drill a hole on the material and do cut outs, not many types of saws have that facility.
This is very handy for things like cutting out electrical sockets or cutting out worktops to fit a sink for instance.
If you are tight for time, the best cordless jigsaw in the UK is the DeWalt 18v XR, as after considerable research we found this to be the best model.
What Types of Jigsaw Are Available?
There are really only two options when it comes to buying a jigsaw:
- Corded Jigsaw - this is a jigsaw that you plug into an electrical socket
- Cordless Jigsaw - this is a jigsaw that runs off a battery that you can recharge.
Thanks to the huge improvement in Lithium-Ion batteries, the cordless jigsaw option is now the most popular choice. These range in price from as cheap as £40 and all the way up to £300.
That price variation comes down to the brand that you pick, the features that you want to have, and the overall quality of the construction and materials the saw is made from.
Below, we have provided a full buying guide, but first we want to show you, the top 10 buyer rated cordless jigsaws, that are currently available on the UK market.
Top 10 Rated Cordless Jigsaws
Just below you will find our summary reviews, where we have placed our choices of jigsaws in order. The order we have used is the highest buyer rated first. In other words we have placed the saws in the order, of what buyers judged their quality to be.
These are our top 10 picks. We have based these on what we believe to be the best value for money as well as being the best quality. At the end of the day, the one you pick will come down to your available budget, and how much use it is going to get.
Cordless Jigsaw Summary UK Reviews
Underneath, we have completed short and concise reviews, on the top 10 cordless jigsaws. That way you can see at a glance, which one is the best choice for you.
Makita DJV180Z 18 V Cordless Body Only Li-ion Jigsaw ( Professionals Choice )
96% buyer satisfaction based on 2,000+ online buyer reviews
- This is an 18V (3.0 AH) cordless jigsaw that is compatible with the Makita 18V range of batteries
- Measures 8.5 x 30.5 x 22.5 cm
- Weighs 2.4 Kg
- Maximum in steel 10 mm
- Maximum in wood 135 mm
- 0-2600 strokes per minute
- Tool-less blade change
- LED job light that creates an easy to trace cutting line
- High comfort grips
Buyers liked the fast charge time (22 minutes) and the power that this jigsaw had was second to none. They also really liked the way it was easy to tilt the base to do a range of bevel cuts.
Overall buyers were delighted with their purchase and said that having the freedom of a cordless jigsaw was just a very good experience.
DeWalt 18V XR Lithium-Ion Body Only Jigsaw
96% buyer satisfaction based on 700+ online buyer reviews
- This is a cordless premium jigsaw with a an 18 Volt Lithium-Ion battery
- Speed of up to 3,000 strokes per minute
- Intelligent variable speed trigger & lock-off switch for quick controlled cuts
- Bevels 45 in both directions
- Easy to use keyless blade changing
- Measures 9.53 x 9.45 x 6.06 cm. Weight 2.4 Kg
- Dust blower keeps line of cut clear of dust and debris
- Battery and charger sold seperately
There are plenty of buyers of this superb jigsaw. It is more expensive than you would normally pay for a standard saw, but it is a saw that will last you for many years.
Really you are paying for a high quality tool, that has a better speed, a better build, a deeper cut than most of the competition. It can also do bevel cuts up to 45 degrees. Its really a great trademan's quality tool.
Bosch PST 18 LI Cordless Jigsaw ( Best Value )
94% buyer satisfaction based on 1,400+ online buyer reviews
- This is a cordless jigsaw that uses an 18 V (2.5 Ah battery)
- Suitable for cutting depths of up to 80 mm in various materials
- Measures 30 x 23 x 10 cm
- Weighs 1.6 Kg
- Cutting depth in wood: 80mm
- Cutting depth in aluminum: 10mm
- Cutting depth in steel: 5mm
- Stroke rate: 2,400 min-1
- Comes with a 2 year warranty
The majority of buyers say that this jigsaw is light, compact and maneuverable and that it is easy to handle. They also like the fact that it was fast to change the blade. Buyers also said they found this one to be really good value for money.
Makita DJV182Z Cordless Brushless Jigsaw 18 V ( Best Lightweight )
96% buyer satisfaction based on 1,000+ online buyer reviews
- This model includes a brushless motor that will greatly extend the life of this tool - it does make it more expensive but will last for years.
- Measures 22 x 29 x 10 cm
- Weighs 1.0 Kg
- The base bevels 0 to 45 degrees left and right
- There is a change lever for three orbital settings and straight cutting
- Has a tool-less blade change
- Also has a soft no load function that automatically reduces the motor speed during idling
- Also has a variable speed control dial
Buyers mainly bought this model as it has the new brushless motor fitted and they considered their purchase to be well worth this upgrade. They liked the soft start feature, the wide range of other features, and the solid high quality build of this jigsaw.
Ryobi R18JS-0 ONE+ Jigsaw with LED, 18 V
96% buyer satisfaction based on 1500+ online buyer reviews
- This is a cordless jigsaw that uses an 18 V (2.5 Ah battery)
- The 25mm stroke length enables fast and efficient cutting of up to 101mm in wood, and 6mm in steel.
- An adjustable aluminium base of up to 45 for angled cuts.
- Lock-on switch to reduce fatigue
- The R18JS-0 is sold as a 'body only' tool and is compatible with all batteries across the 18V ONE+ system.
- Blade Speed : 1100 - 3000 s/min, Blade Fitment : T-Shank, Pendulum Adjustments : 4, Cutting Capacity : 6.35mm
This is another big seller and it's easy to see why. The Ryobi R18JS comes withe everything you would expect with this type of high end manufacturer. Just remember it's body only and you will need a battery and charger.
Buyers really liked the speed and depth of cut and thought that it has superb build quality. Many buyers chose it because of the 45 degree bevel feature that some of the cheaper models dont have.
Milwaukee M18BJS-0 18v Heavy-Duty Top Handle Jigsaw Body Only
96% buyer satisfaction based on 1500+ online buyer reviews
This is a heavier duty model at 8.27 x 3.15 x 8.66 cm; 2.9 Kilograms that delivers delivers 2800 spm for fast cutting ( compared to 500 spm for the model above )
It's a battery operated 18V model that comes without battery or charger
It also has an LED light and blower
Stroke Length: 25mm. Capacity: Wood: 135mm, Metal: 10mm. Bevel Capacity: 45
Really this is just a faster version of the best selling model and actually it's not that much more expensive. Well worth it if you are using a jigsaw regularly
This is definitely the model to go for if you are going to be using your jigsaw regularly. Compared the the other models in the range this one is well priced, can cut the same size of materials and has the fastest SPM or cutting speed. I also found it to be very comfortable to use and it's strong enough to take a bit of abuse. There is a full range of Milwaukee jigsaws available.
Einhell TE-JS 18 Li Solo Power X-Change Cordless Jigsaw
90% buyer satisfaction based on 1300+ online buyer reviews
- This is a cordless jigsaw that uses an 18 V (12W battery)
- Suitable for the einhell power X-change battery system
- Supplied without battery and charger (available separately)
- Includes additional attachable parallel guide for exact cuttings
- Suitable for 80 mm cutting depth in wood, 12 mm cutting depth in plastic and 10 mm cutting depth in steel
- Has a handy LED light for illuminating the cutting area
- Also has a dust blower to keep the cutting line clear
We are big fans of Einhell as this brand has slightly less expensive ranges of tools. These aren't a cheap alternative, and they are good quality and just have a few less of the premium features. This makes them more affordable.
Buyers seem to agree with us as most of the many buyers thought that it was a great jigsaw and excellent value for money.
HYCHIKA Jigsaw with Laser ( Best Budget )
88% buyer satisfaction based on 700+ online buyer reviews
- This is a cordless jigsaw that comes with 2 batteries and 6 blades
- The maximum adjustable cutting angle is 45 °
- The maximum cutting depth in the wood is 110 mm, in metal it's 10 mm
- It has a handy "no tool" quick change blade feature
- The built in laser guide is really useful
- Measures 33.6 x 31.3 x 10.5 cm and weighs 2.5 Kilograms
- This is the best budget model we found
This brand is not that well known in the UK. This jigsaw is really about the value for money. It is hard to find anything that beats this in terms of price without compromising on some very useful features.
The majority of online buyers said this saw was easy to set up and use, cut straight and they particularly liked the laser guide line.
BLACK+DECKER 18 V Cordless Pendulum Electric Jigsaw
90% buyer satisfaction based on 300+ online buyer reviews
- This is an 18v cordless model that comes bare tool
- Three position pendulum for faster cutting
- 0-2500RPM variable speed for versatility
- Easy to use tool free blade change
- 19mm stroke length
- Fits both T & U shank blades
- Measures 29 x 25 x 9.5 cm and weighs 1.8 Kilograms
- Delivers depth of cut up to 55mm in wood, 20mm in aluminium and 8mm in steel
- This jigsaw comes with a 2-year guarantee
This is another affordable option, though worth noting that this is a tool only option. If you already own a B&D 18V battery, then this could be an affordable option.
Most buyers seemed to already own other B&D cordless tools, so this does make a good add on tool if that is the case. Buyers did say this one was fast and cut neat straight lines and was very good on curves.
Dewinner Cordless Jigsaw - Cheapest
84% buyer satisfaction based on 150+ online buyer reviews
- This is a 20V (2.0AH) cordless jigsaw and comes with a battery and charger
- It will be really hard to find a cheaper cordless jigsaw with a battery and charger included
- Has a 2,400 SPM cutting power
- Has a variable speed trigger
- Has a 3/4” stroke length that gives aggressive cutting ability
- The foot plate bevels
- Has an LED work light illuminates your workplace
If you just need a cordless saw with a battery and charger to use for a few jobs, then we would recommend this one, as nothing that we could find is cheaper on the UK market.
It is not a familiar brand but that has not put off buyers, and so far the majority of those buyers have rated this well, and say it is super value and works well for their needs.
Dewalt DCS331N 18V Cordless Jigsaw with 1 x 5.0Ah Battery & Charger in Case ( Best Quality )
98% buyer satisfaction based on 50+ online buyer reviews
- This is a high end top quality jigsaw that comes with a battery, charger and case
- It is an 18V (5.0Ah) cordless jigsaw that uses the Dewalt XR technology
- It has a fan cooled motor capable of delivering up to 3,000 strokes per minute
- Has a variable speed control and a handy lock on feature
- It has a keyless blade changing system
- Stroke length is 26 mm
- Bevel Capacity: 45°
- Max. Depth of Cut Wood: 135mm
- Max. Depth of Cut Metal: 10mm
The price will send many buyers running, but if you want the best quality, then that comes with a hefty price tag. Those buyers who have made the plunge love this jigsaw and say it is the best they have ever used.
Cordless Jigsaw UK Buying Guide
Just below we have quickly summarised the key buying points to consider, if you are thinking about buying a cordless jigsaw.
What Makes a Good Cordless Jigsaw?
Tool Only Option
Most manufacturers make "tool only" options which is the tool sold without a battery and charger. A tool only option does make the jigsaw cheaper however you do need to have a compatible battery and charger.
Ideally you should buy a cordless jigsaw from a good quality and well respected brand. That way you know the tool is made of good quality and also has good customer service and most importantly you can get parts should you need them. The best known brands are Makita, Dewalt, and Bosch.
The power is shown in volts on a cordless jigsaw, and the capacity of the battery is measured in Ampere Hours (Ah) As a general rule the higher the Ah rating the better. Ah is a measure of capacity and the minimum for a jigsaw is 3.0Ah. You can also get 4.0 Ah and 5.0 Ah which will last longer
Speed is measured in rotations per minute (RPM) and will either be a fixed speed or a variable speed. The much better choice is variable speed as it gives you much better control. It also allows you to use the right speed depending on what material you are cutting, such as soft woods, hard woods and metal. You also want a longer stroke length and anything over 200 mm is a great choice.
Better quality jigsaws have a tilting base plate which will allow you to make bevel cuts.
Other features that are an advantage to have is an LED work light, a good dust extraction system, electronic motor protection, and tool free blade changing.
There are quite a few makers of cordless jigsaws and the range widely in price. Makita and Dewalt are the most popular choice for professionals, contractors and those who take their DIY seriously.
There are cheaper brands available such as Black & Decker, Hychika and Dewinner. Their price points are better suited for any buyer who only needs to use a cordless jigsaw a few times a year.
Other Cordless Jigsaw Features to look for
Length of stroke – 5/8 is around the standard length. We found that the longer stroke models were harder control so I wouldn't go for anything beyond this.
Variable speed – Not many jigsaws have this handy feature but some of the better ones have the option to vary speeds. This is a very useful feature and is especially helpful at the very start of any cut.
LED Headlight – This helps light up the workpiece and makes life a little easier. It helps the end user but we don't think this is a major feature to be concerned about.
Laser Guide - We found this very useful for cutting in a straight line. Some of these saws are very powerful and its so easy to go off line. The laser line helps you to stay totally straight on the cut line.
Dust Blower - from here
Video - How to Use a Jigsaw?
I found this useful video, which explains how to use a jigsaw properly. The chap explains all the important basics, and important features of using a jigsaw.
Safe Use of a Jigsaw
If you have never used one of these saws before, then please watch the video above. There is a knack to using these so as you do not want to cut yourself or damage the wood you are cutting.
You have to learn to let the blade of the saw do all the work. If you find it really hard to cut then you are doing it wrong, it should be smooth and easy.
Some useful safety tips are :-
- Always use a circuit breaker to plug power tools into as a safety especially with cutting tools.
- Goggles are a must to protect your eyes and a dust mask should be used no matter what material you are cutting.
- Most people never read the instructions and this is something you should always do.
- Make sure the electrical cord is not going to get in your way.
- Cut all materials on a bench or solid structure when possible and use clamps to hold the piece down if at all practical.
- Never use any power took without the safety guard
Jigsaws have come a very long way from the old style machines. They were only ever good enough for very rough cuts on cheaper materials. They are so good now that they are used for very intricate work on more valuable materials
The weakest link was always the blade and anybody who has ever used a jigsaw will know how very easy it is to snap even the latest and most expensive blades.
The modern blades come in many different sizes and shapes and produce much less friction than the older blades. Another change in design is that most of the modern use a T-shaped blade mounting which makes them stronger and the blade supports are much better.
Its also a great improvement that blades are not quick release instead of a fiddly allen screw. These quick release blades are called " T-Shank " blades.
- Decide if the job actually needs a jigsaw. If its a simple cut of a couple of pieces of wood then you hardly need one. Many easy cutting projects need a circular saw and these too will do a variety of jobs.
- Price range and brand name do matter. If you require constant a jigsaw for very regular use, you better do your research properly and make sure a quality product that will stand the test of time. If its just for occasion use, then you don't need anything too fancy.
- Make sure you know what type of blade or “shank” your jigsaw requires. T-shank and U-shank are the most common.
As we have already said, there are no bad models featured in these reviews. These are the best quality and value jigsaws we have found and any of them will do a good job, stand the test of time and offer you value for money.
At the end of the day the decision usually comes down to price and how much you are going to use the tool.
Hopefully we have helped you find the best jigsaw on the UK market right now. If you are still not sure what's best for you then have a look at our best jigsaw review which includes some corded models.
Frequently asked questions
This can be a bit frustrating, but sometimes when cutting the blades of jigsaw can bend and ruin a cut. To stop this from happening, make sure your blade is always sharp and try not to force the cut if possibe.
It is always better to let the saw do the work!
Personally I much prefer cordless tools. They are much more manageable and easier to use. These days they are just as powerful as their corded friends.
If, however, you have a lot of cutting to do then the corded version might be better. I like to have cordless tools and have more than one battery so that I never run out of power, but that's just me.
Enter your text here...