In this article we review, what we believe to be the best plug-in timers that are currently available on the UK marketplace. There are quite literally hundreds of these to pick from, and a whole range of brands who make them.
The really good news is that these are not an expensive purchase, but are a really useful small appliance to own.
They serve two main tasks, which are to increase the security of your home, and also to make your life that little bit more convenient.
All of the plug-in timers are pretty compact, economic, will save you energy and best of all, can help to deter intruders. They are usually adjustable for 24 hours, and almost always can be set at 15 minute intervals.
The principle is that you plug a lamp into one of these timers, then you set a time on the plug in timer for the lamp to come on, and the lamp then automatically turns on at that time.
They have many other uses as well such as for fish tanks, aquariums, TVs, switching on and off of Christmas tree lights, security lighting, slow cookers, heaters, irons, pumps, printers, watering plants etc.
TOP TIP - Many parents use these to switch WiFi router off at a certain time to help them get their kids off line and get them to bed.
These sell for about £5-10, per timer depending on which brand you decide to go for. You can also buy these in sets like the one shown above. If you decide to do that, then you can usually save a few pounds as well.
Mechanical vs Digital Timers
There are two types of plug in timers which are mechanical and digital.
- Mechanical timers - These are set by pushing in segments or pins to set the time. This can be a fiddly process and may not be suitable for those with arthritis or who has an illness where shaking hands are a problem
- Digital timers - these are set up by programming a display. These are slightly harder to setup, but don't require any physical dexterity. You do however have to read the instructions carefully as they usually have a lot of features.
Top 5 Plug In Timers
Just below you will find a table, where we have placed our choices of timers in order. The order we have used is the highest buyer rated first. In other words we have placed these timers in the order, of what buyers judged their quality to be.
These are our top 5 picks. We have based these on what we believe to be the best value for money. At the end of the day, the one you pick will come down to your own choice and how many of these you either want or need.
Plug In Timer Summary Reviews
Underneath, we have completed short and concise reviews, on these top 5 products. That way you can see at a glance, which one is the best choice for you.
Plug In Timer Buying Tips
As we explained earlier, the main purpose of these is pretty simple. They can be used to turn an appliance on and off at set times. This can be once a day, or multiple times, if you buy the right type.
People use these to switch on and off lights when they go on holiday, or when the home is unoccupied. They use them to switch on and off pumps in an aquarium. Other people use them to turn on and off heaters in a bedroom.
As you can see, even from this short list, these have many uses.
- Make sure any timer you buy meets UK safety standards and is CE approved BS1363
- Ideally they should be approved by UK Police, Local Councils and Neighbourhood Watch Groups
- You can plug an extension socket into these and then it will switch on 2 or more devices
- Make sure to buy one with an over ride feature. This allows you to stop the timing feature without removing the timer from the socket and can be really handy some times
Video - How to Use a Plug In Timer?
We found this useful video, which explains how to use a mechanical plug-in timer. It does depend on the type of timer that you purchase, but the basic principle is exactly the same.
Hopefully you have found this information on plug-in timers useful.