Thanks for taking your time to read our review of the Makita DBO180Z Cordless 18 V Li-ion Random Orbit Sander. Below we have included a full and detailed review of this highly popular choice for UK buyers.
This sander is, according to buyers, very easy to operate and the 3 speed settings are really useful to have. They liked the nice compact design, and the lower centre of gravity allowed those users to have much more control, than they had experienced with other random orbit sanders.
How Buyers Rate the Makita DBO180Z?
96% buyer satisfaction based on 2,500+ online buyer reviews
- 88% of all online buyers gave this a full 5 star review
- 1% of all buyers gave this a poor review
This random orbit sander has sold in its thousands online, and has maintained a healthy and high buyer satisfaction rating. There are only a few grumbles from a small percentage of buyers and that is always a very good thing.
What Buyers Say about the Makita DBO180Z?
Makita DBO180Z Specification
- Measures 17.5 x 12.3 x 15.3 centimetres
- Weighs 1.27 Kg
- Operates off a compatible Makita 18V LXT style battery
- Amperage Capacity 5 Amps
- Has an electronic push button switch with 3-speed settings.
- Random orbits per minute on the different settings 7000/9500/11000
- Sanding strokes per minute on the various settings 14000/19000/22000
- This sander has an outlet that can be connected to a dust extractor
- Neat and compact design with short height and lower centre of gravity for better manoeuvrability
- Uses a Hook and Loop paper fastening.
- Vibration(Sanding): 2.5 m/sec²
- Comes with a dust bag
- Comes with 1 sheet of 120 grit sandpaper
- 123mm pad size
- 125mm paper size
- 2.8mm random orbital action diameter
- The switch and bearing are dust sealed for longer tool life
- 22 mm dust port
Makita DBO180Z - 3 Key Features
3 Speeds and why they matter
This model has a 3 stage speed control. Those are classed as fast, medium and low settings They deliver as follows:
Slow - 7,000, Medium - 9,500 and High - 11,000 orbits per minute.
The faster the speed the faster material will be removed. The slower speed is better for delicate control or for finer finishes.
Hook and Loop
The DBO180Z uses quick change 125mm, 8 hole, hook and loop abrasive paper. This is good because this type of paper is widely available online and in almost all good DIY stores.
The Random Action
This model has a large 2.8mm random orbital action diameter for fast sanding and a swirl free finish. It also has a "pad control system" for controlled pad speed upon start up and a pad brake which has been engineered for reduced spin-free and improved overall finish.
A very quick video review
We have looked over all the video reviews and found this great short presentation on this Makita power tool. It gives you an instant idea of what to expect as well as telling you all the features and spec in and easy to understand format.
I hope you enjoy watching it as I always think its much better to see a tool in action rather than just reading about it or seeing pictures. This guy is particularly good at explaining the features of the sander and he is well known for demonstrating Makita tools.
Best Makita Battery
- 18 Volts Lithium-Ion battery
- 6.0 Ah
- 55 minute charge time
- Weighs 660 grams
- Includes a battery capacity indicator LED so you know how much charge is left.
- Works with all power tools that feature a yellow connector plate or has a star on the connector plate
- Suitable for tools like saws, blowers and trimmers
90% buyer satisfaction based on 50+ reviews
If you are not sure which battery is best for you then have a read at Best Makita Battery for some more helpful information.
The Makita Brand
The Makita brand sell a wide range of cordless tools and tools for the construction and demolition industries. They also sell some garden machinery. They sell their tools through various stores in the UK including B&Q, Screwfix, Cromwell, Jewson, Buildbase, Bradfords, Wickes and more.
Their HQ is in Japan. Their Telford manufacturing plant is the only full-production facility for power tools in the UK and has been successfully running construction on many of our top line cordless power tools since 1991.
Makita believe that for a good tool you need a good motor, and Makita makes every effort to make sure their motors are of the best quality. They use premium grade steel to produce armature shafts and gears, and only steel of the highest grade is used.
They also complete quality control tests on each and every, machine that leaves their manufacturing plants.
Our Verdict on the Makita DBO180Z Cordless 18 V Li-ion Random Orbit Sander
With lots of sales and a very high buyer satisfaction rating, we have no hesitation in recommending this Makita DBO180Z to any of our readers.
This model has been out for a while and continues to sell in large amounts. That should tell you all you need to know about the quality and performance of this particular model.
If you are not sure if this is the model for you then check out our review on the Best Orbit Sander which will give you a really detailed review on what we believe to be top 5 models available today.