Thanks for taking your time to read our review of the Makita DKP181Z LXT 82mm 18 V Li-ion Body Only Cordless Planer. Below we have included a full and detailed review of this highly popular choice for UK buyers.
How Buyers Rate the Makita DKP181Z?
98% buyer satisfaction based on 100+ online buyer reviews
- 91% of all online buyers gave this a full 5 star review
- 1% of all buyers gave this a poor review
We see very few ratings as high as this. Over 90% 5 star reviews are pretty unheard of, so you can be sure this planer is of the highest quality and is most likely the best cordless planer you could find.
Our Verdict on the Makita DKP181Z Cordless Planer
Absolutely brilliant tool that is getting some of the best reviews and ratings that I have ever seen. There have been thousands of buyers and this is really a 10 out of 10 tool for me.
It will do the job of any corded planer and is really a pleasure to work with. Light, flexible and has plenty of power.
This will fit in especially well if you already have a range of Makita tools and I have to say it is extremely well priced for what you are getting.
What Buyers Say about this Makita Planer
A lot of tradesmen are changing all their tools to cordless over time and 98% of buyers would recommend this model of planer. They feel it is reasonably priced and powerful enough for any job they have to do.
It may not go as deep as the corded model but its getting close.
The Specifications at a Glance
- 33.5 x 21 x 19.5 cm; 3.5 Kilograms
- Comes with a brushless motor
- Planning width 82 mm ,Voltage - 18 Volts
- Planning depth 3.0 mm
- Equipped with 2 blade cutter head with double edge carbide blade
- The front base features 3 chamfering groove options
- Maximum rebate depth 25 mm
- No load speed 12,000 RPM
- Click depth adjustment knob
- Settings from 0 to 3mm for precise depth
- Connectable to Makita dust extraction systems
- Equipped with Battery Protection Circuit
- Blade cutter head with double carbide blades
Makita DKP181Z - Key Features
The DKP181Z is a very powerful 18V Li-ion Planer, delivering up to 12,000 rpm and is able to plane 3mm. Many corded versions can manage 4mm at a time but buyers dont see this as a problem and prefer to have the flexibilty of this cordless model to the extra depth provided by the corded counterpart.
The dust bag catches 90% of the dust and is easy and clean to empty. The bag is a bit bulky to carry around but its totally worth the hassle as there is very little cleaning up to be done after.
The bag doesn't actually come with the tool, so you have to buy it too but I would highly advise you do that as it will save you a lot of time.
No lead, no extention cables, no trouble working outdoors. This planer is light to carry and use. It can be left in your tool box and is ready to go at any time. It's brilliant for awkward jobs and is surprisingly quiet.
A very quick video review
We have looked over all the video reviews and found this great short presentation on this Makita power tool. It gives you an instant idea of what to expect as well as telling you all the features and spec in and easy to understand format.
I hope you enjoy watching it as I always think its much better to see a tool in action rather than just reading about it or seeing pictures. This guy is particularly good at explaining the features of the cordless planer and he is well known for demonstrating Makita tools.
Best Makita Battery For a Planer
- 18 Volts Lithium-Ion battery
- 6.0 Ah
- 55 minute charge time
- Weighs 660 grams
- Includes a battery capacity indicator LED so you know how much charge is left.
- Works with all power tools that feature a yellow connector plate or has a star on the connector plate
- Suitable for tools like saws, blowers and trimmers
90% buyer satisfaction based on 50+ reviews
If you are not sure which battery is best for you then have a read at Best Makita Battery for some more helpful information.
Makita DC18RC Battery Charger
- This will charge one 18V or 14.4V Makita LXT slide battery
- It is classed as a is a compact sized fast charger
- Takes 15 minutes to fully charge an 18V 1.5Ah Makita battery
- Takes 22 minutes to fully charge an 18V 3.0Ah Makita battery
- Takes 36 minutes to fully charge an 18V 4.0Ah Makita battery
- Takes 45 minutes to fully charge an 18V 5.0Ah Makita battery
- Takes 55 minutes to fully charge an 18V 6.0Ah Makita battery
- This is a 240 Volt charger and comes with a UK 3-pin plug
96% buyer satisfaction based on 100+ reviews
The MAKITA DC18RC has a cooling fan that blows cool air into the battery. A digital power display identifies the condition of the battery and charging condition.
It measures 23.6 x 16.4 x 30.8 cm and weighs 820 grams.
The Makita Brand
The Makita brand sell a wide range of cordless tools and tools for the construction and demolition industries. They also sell some garden machinery. They sell their tools through various stores in the UK including B&Q, Screwfix, Cromwell, Jewson, Buildbase, Bradfords, Wickes and more.
Their HQ is in Japan. Their Telford manufacturing plant is the only full-production facility for power tools in the UK and has been successfully running construction on many of our top line cordless power tools since 1991.
Makita believe that for a good tool you need a good motor, and Makita makes every effort to make sure their motors are of the best quality. They use premium grade steel to produce armature shafts and gears, and only steel of the highest grade is used.
They also complete quality control tests on each and every, machine that leaves their manufacturing plants.
If you are not sure that this is the model for you then check out our article on the Best Cordless Planers for some more information.