Best Chisel Sets UK Reviews
Thanks for taking your time to read our reviews on the best chisel sets that are currently available on the United Kingdom marketplace.
Chisel sets are primarily designed for tradesmen, and mainly for joiners and carpenters. Many home owners will also find these useful from time to time, and they can be used on a wide variety of tasks.
Most chisels are bevel-edged wood chisels with some type of ground finish A good set will typically have wood chisels of sizes 6, 12, 18 and 25 mm, as well as a carrying case, blade protectors, oil and a sharpening stone.
Just below you will see our top 5 list of chisel sets. However, we also know you are busy, so if you don't have time to read our full review, we would highly recommend the Stanley 016130 5002 Bevel Edge Chisel Set
Best Chisel Set by Buyer Rating
The top 5 are as follows:
Stanley 016130 5002 Bevel Edge Chisel Set
Draper Expert 88605 8 Piece Wood Chisel Set
VonHaus 10pc Chisel Set
Irwin Marples Ms500W S/T B/E Chisel set
Stanley 516421 Dynagrip Chisel and Strike Cap Set
Just below, we have also completed some summary reviews on each of these, so as you can see which is the best option for you.
No 1 - Stanley 016130 5002 Bevel Edge Chisel Set Summary Review
- 92% customer satisfaction with 75% of all buyers giving this set a full 5 star review
- Each of the 4 chisels has a heat treated forged steel blade for long life
- The blade has been coated with a lacquer to help prevent rusting
- They comes with a blade guard
- They come in a carry case with oil and an oilstone for sharpening
No 2 - Draper Expert 88605 8 Piece Wood Chisel Set Summary Review
- 92% Customer Satisfaction with 80% of all buyers giving this set a full 5 star review
- This is an 6 piece wood chisel set that buyers consider to be very good value for money
- It also comes with a honing guide and an aluminium oxide sharpening stone
- Each chisel has a full length bevel edged blade which is made from chrome vanadium steel that has been hardened, tempered, finely ground and clear lacquer coated for corrosion protection
- The handles are made from soft grip polypropylene
No 3 - VonHaus 10pc Chisel Set Summary Review
- 90% buyer satisfaction rating with 80% of all buyers giving this set a full 5 star review
- This set contains 8 chisels a honing guide and an aluminium oxide sharpening stone in a neat wooden carrying case
- The blades are heart treated, chrome vanadium steel alloy blades with narrow side bevels
- The handles are rubberised with metal strike caps
- They come with a 2 year warranty
No 4 - Irwin Marples Ms500W S/T B/E Chisel Set Summary Review
- 90% buyer satisfaction rating with 66% of all buyers giving this set a full 5 star review
- This is a set of 5 bevel edge chisels
- Each chisel has a metal striking cap that allows the use of a hammer
- The handles are soft touch and are oil and water resistant
- Each blade is a one piece forged blade for added strength and durability
- Made from special tool steel that has been hardened for longer life
- Contains: 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch chisels
No 5 - Stanley 516421 Dynagrip Chisel and Strike Cap Set Summary Review
- 88% buyer satisfaction rating with 66% of all buyers giving this set a full 5 star review
- This set contains a 6, 12, 18, 25 and 32 mm chisels, along with an oil stone, and honing guide
- They have a soft grip handle
- The blade is made from forged high carbon steel
- These blades are all pre-sharpened and ready for immediate use
- They come with a full length blade guard-for added safety
Chisel Set Buying Tips
- Carpenters and joiners will be very particular about the exact type of chisel they want to own and use
- Home owners simply need a good quality affordable basic chisel set that allows them to be flexible for doing slightly different jobs
- You will want to buy chisels where the handle never splits
- You will also want a strong chisel that doesn't bend - that means not using them as a crowbar
- The other feature to watch out for when buying a chisel set is that they stay sharp for as long as possible, so should be regularly sharpened
- Having some oil and a stone allows you to keep your chisel set in nice working order and it is actually an enjoyable and relaxing thing to do.
The bottom line is that if you are planning on working with wood, then a good quality chisel set is a very sound investment.
There are plenty of cheap chisel sets on the market, and we have seen them as low as £2-3 for a set in certain well known pound stores. Run a million miles from those as all they will do is make working with wood a tedious, frustrating and and time consuming task.
The better wood chisels will have a very sharp blade that will slice with little effort through any type of wood. Your chisel should also have a strong handle with a good grip.
After that it really is all about the quality of the blade edge. That edge should retain its sharpness for a good length of time. If you also get a some type of sharpening tool with your set, then that is really helpful.
How to use a Chisel
Hopefully you have found this information on chisel sets useful.