Who needs a Multimeter?
Thanks for reading our article on the best multimeter UK. If you are dealing with some electrical issues, either at home or at work then you won't be able to do it without a good multimeter. They will enable you to measure various things such as voltage, resistance or current in any electrical item. Mostly they are pretty cheap and I would advise everyone to get one and more importantly, learn how to use it properly. It can save you a lot of time and also a lot of money.
To help you to find something suitable, we have listed a few over our favourite models below, including what we think is the best multimeter you can buy, taking price into account as usual, of course. If these are a bit complicated for you then have a look at our electrical tester review which are a much simpler device.
KAIWEETS HT118A Digital Multimeter
94% buyer satisfaction based on 10,000+ online buyer reviews
Kaiweets is a high end brand and a popular choice for UK buyers who want very high quality and reliability.
- 6000 counts auto-ranging for accurate measurement of AC/DC voltage, resistance, continuity, frequency, capacitance and diode, liquid temperature, wire on-off, Battery checking
- Large 2.9” LCD backlight display along with a torch on the back
- Non-contact voltage testing available
- IEC Rated CAT III 1000V, CAT IV 600V, CE, RoHS certified
- High Voltage Protection is active on all ranges and double insulated
The KAIWEETS digital meter is simple to use yet fully functional, making it an ideal tool for any electrical project. These new style of smart multimeter help you quickly solve problems related to electrical testing.
AstroAI Digital Multimeter 4000 Counts TRMS Auto-Ranging Volt Meter
92% buyer satisfaction based on 1,500+ online buyer reviews
This is one the best budget multimeters I could find, coming in around £20. It's a well known make, gets good reviews and they are a big seller.
- Accurate measurement of AC/DC voltage to 600V, Current to 10A, Resistance to 40MΩ. Tests Continuity, Capacitance and Diodes.
- Can test 1.5V, 9V, 12V Batteries
- Fully safe non-contact voltage testing
- Nice screen and very sturdy case for the price
- Comes with a 3 year warranty
The AstroAI Multimeter is well designed and useful for diagnosing car and household AC/DC current, voltage and resistance problems. This model works pretty well for occasional use and at this price it's well worth having one in your tool box, even for just the odd job. If you need more information just click and check out our more comprehensive review of this AstroA1 multimeter.
Fluke Industrial 115 True Rms Multimeter
96% buyer satisfaction based on 2,000+ online buyer reviews
This is probably the best quality unit we could find that wasnt totally off the scale pricewise. They are a professional unit, have been around for a long time and I personally know of people who have been using the same one for over 20 years.
- Excellent screen with LED backlight
- Measures AC and DC voltage to 600V
- Measures AC and DC current to 10A (20 A overload for 30-seconds max)
- Measures resistance, continuity, frequency, and capacitance
- Provides Min/Max/Average with elapsed time to record signal fluctuations
- CAT III 600 V safety rated
A top of the range unit that's aimed at the professional for everyday use. I guess a normal homeowner won't need something of this standard but I've added it in here as some people prefer to have the best of everything.
Neoteck Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter
90% buyer satisfaction based on 4,000+ online buyer reviews
This is another cheap version thats a big seller and works pretty well. Neoteck gets a good name in this type of tool and I found this model to be great value.
- Has the built in double fuse as standard and comes in a very hand case that keeps everything together and in good condition.
- Accurately measure AC/DC voltage, AC/DC current, resistance, continuity, capacitance (4-2000uF), frequency (1kHz-200kHz)
- 3 1/2 digit LCD display and the backlight is handy in dark areas
- Will read AC current from virtually zero up
Draper 52320 Electrician Digital Multimeter with 16 Function
90% buyer satisfaction based on 100+ online buyer reviews
Draper are also well know for quality tools at affordable prices. This meter is no exception and at half the price compared to best rated model, you have to think its a bargain.
- 16 Position rotary function and range selector
- Measures AC and DC Voltage
- Measures resistance
- Hi impact rubber case Probe set
- Simple to use
- Size 32 x 114 x 134 mm
Have a good look at the size of this meter before you buy it. I would class it as a pocket size unit. It's not very big so don't be expecting a full size unit. Apart from that it works very well and the smaller size might very very handy for some users.
Multimeter Buying Guide
There are some things you need to consider when buying a multimeter, so I've made a list that you should take into consideration.
1. Choose a digital multimeter with a higher main voltage than is required to operate electrical devices that you want to observe the readings for.
2. It is important not to use the multimeter above the current range it can withstand. So you need to buy something that's heavy enough for the current you will be using it on.
3. When buying higher-end digital multimeters, check whether it provides the true RMS value which may also account for any DC components, if any.
4. Make sure that the digital multimeter you buy is accurate. Accuracy of a DMM is defined as the maximum permissible error limit in the observed readings
If you keep these few things in mind then you really can go wrong. As long as the meter you buy will do the type of test you want and it's heavy duty enough for the current you will be testing , then you will be fine.
A very quick video review
We have looked over all the video reviews and found this great short presentation on these meters. It gives you an instant idea of what to expect as well as telling you all the features and spec in and easy to understand format.
I hope you enjoy watching it as I always think its much better to see a tool in action rather than just reading about it or seeing pictures. This guy is particularly good at explaining the features of the drill and he is well known for demonstrating tools.
Hopefully this article has helped you to understand twhat multimeters are available in the United Kingdom. The good news is that you have plenty of choices from a range of brands. There is also a wide variation in price points from as low as £20 and going all the way up to £200+. We also do a good article on stud finders that can also detect wiring in your wall, definitely a good tool to have in your collection.